The building occupies a small residual lot (about 500 square meters) placed between a dense built area characterized by the presence of a plurality of architecturally heterogeneous constructions, dating from the late 50s and the following decades. Cottage houses alternate with larger multi-storey buildings that characterize the built along corso Sebastopoli in the immediate vicinity. The front facing the street overlooks a green area destined to a park, belonging to the nearby municipal middle school, datable to around the end of the ’70s.
The project stems from the need, expressed by the building contractor, to modify the existing project – designed by another architect- adapting it to the new demands of the real estate market and to the cogent building regulations, currently being redefined, awaiting final approval of the new PRGC. The “acrobatic” exercise of distributive and formal redesign applied to a volumetry and architecture already approved, was particularly complex and intricate. The idea behind the project was born from the need to place the stairwell outside the building to increase the volumetry, suggested by a careful reading of building regulations.
The vertical access routes to the real estate units have determined the development of the distribution aspects of each apartment, which vary on each floor. The overall image of the building, outlined by the presence of the large metal portal that encloses the stairwell, is characterized by the overlapping of simple volumes: starting from the ground floor that opens entirely towards the garden, to continue to the upper floors with the inclusion of the lodges and the symmetrical presence of large curved balconies facing the east and west fronts. To crown the underlying “cube”, emerges the “materially” different volumetry of the attic floor with overhanging loft – entirely made of bricks – surrounded by the large perimeter terrace.
Carlo Italo Zanotti was born in Cavarzere (Venice) on 25 June 1955.
He graduated with honors from the Turin Polytechnic on July 17 1980 and completed his professional training at prestigious Turin studios.
In 1981 in Paris, he completed his professional training at the Arch. J. P. Buffi architectural firm, collaborating in particular on the executive project of the Institute of French Culture in Lisbon.
He opened his own studio in 1984 and in 1992 he founded the firm artom & zanotti associate architects with Anita Artom.
Advisor of the Professional Association of Architects of the Province of Turin (1994/96) and delegated architect for the Public Authorities. Co-creator since 2005 with Merkurio Progetti Musicali of the event “Music and spaces, meetings between architecture and music” of which he is scientific manager of the architecture sector.
Creator and organizer of the design workshops for the spaces dedicated to music “the sound and the space”, in collaboration with the Foundation for Architects and the Polytechnic of Turin.
Anita Artom was born in Asti on July 4, 1958. She graduated from the Polytechnic of Turin in 1984, supervisor Aimaro Isola. She completed her professional training at private studios in Turin, dealing mainly with Restoration and conservative rehabilitation of important historical buildings including the “Baronino Complex “ and “Le Vallere farmhouse”
From 1984 to 1991 she collaborated with the arch. Carlo Italo Zanotti, dealing mainly with residential construction and public works. In 1992 she founded the firm artom & zanotti associate architects with Carlo Italo Zanotti.
Carlo Italo Zanotti and Anita Artom partacipated – by invitation – at the International Architecture Exhibition in Paris, Grande Halle de la Villette.
Space Young Architects of the European Community (1990).